Essential Legal Documents for Young Adults

Once your child turns 18, they become a legal adult. As a parent you can no longer make medical, legal or financial decisions for them. A few simple legal documents will allow you to help your child in an emergency if needed.

Healthcare proxy
The proxy grants you legal authority to make healthcare decision on behalf of your child should they become incapacitated or unable to make their own decisions.

Durable Financial Power of Attorney
If needed, this would grant you the legal authority to manage your child’s financial affairs, such as paying rent, tuition or applying for loans.

FERPA Waiver
Parents of college students are not privy to academic reports, financial aid accounts or disciplinary records. To gain access your student needs to sign a FERPA waiver which can typically be done online.

Universal HIPAA Release Form
This gives written permission to legally access your child’s medical records. This form is not limited to a single provider. 

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

E-Newsletter Subscription

Get the latest updates from Charles H. Gross, Attorney at Law when you sign up for our enewsletter!